The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 was supposed to be the next greatest thing. It was slated to give the Apple iPhone 7 a run for its money. Now it’s a bomb. Not, “the bomb,” but, “a bomb.” In fact, a six-year-old boy from Brooklyn, NY, suffered burns over the weekend when a Note 7 exploded in his hands, causing burns on his body.
If Samsung thought there was any way they could rectify the problem of batteries in their smartphones catching fire and still fly under the radar, that notion was shot down when the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) advised all passengers this weekend carrying Note 7 smartphones to turn off the phones in flight.
Samsung followed that with a statement on Saturday that customers should turn off their Note 7 phones and bring them in for exchange. Not so hard to exchange a failed phone for a new one. It will obviously hurt their bottom line. But when all the dust settles, it will be the trust that may be tough to earn back.