Everyone who’s ever tried to diet understands how hard it can be to lose those last 5 pounds. It seems like no matter what you do, losing weight becomes an almost impossible task. One of the things that could be hurting you is late night eating. If you want to take snacks a few hours before going to bed, there are a few things that you need to consider first.
Research shows that late-night calories play a big role in weight gain. However, there are a number of low-calorie snacks that you can indulge in and stay healthy. Here is a look at some of them.
– String cheese is one of the best bedtime snacks for weight loss. Even though it is processed, one serving contains filling proteins and fat to keep you satiated and contains only 80 calories. Cheese is also rich in the amino acid tryptophan, which makes you drowsy.
– Cereals are also good bedtime snacks for those who want to lose weight. Not the Count Chocula type that gives you a stomach ache and drowsiness; think of whole-grain, complex carb like cereals like corn, bran flakes or oatmeal. Besides giving you a maximum of 200 calories, they are also easy to digest and when you add a little milk, you get extra protein and tryptophan.
– Nonfat Greek yogurt is another snack that can help you lose weight. Packed with 100 to 150 calories, it provides the relaxing benefits of protein and tryptophan. It also calms the stomach and puts at bay heartburn and indigestion.
– White-meat turkey is another healthy bedtime snack. Turkey has a good serving of sleep-inducing tryptophan, as well as low-fat, high-quality proteins. A few slices of turkey meat contain not more than 100 calories.
– An apple served with peanut butter is also a good bedtime snack for weight loss. Filled with lots of fiber, apples also have a satisfying crunch. Protein present in almond or peanut butter also fills your belly and doesn’t feel heavy on the stomach, giving you a good night sleep.
– Nonfat chocolate pudding cup is another excellent bedtime snack for weight loss. Besides going down easy on your throat, this snack doesn’t contain fat. With every serving, you get only 60 calories.
– Baby carrots are another healthy bedtime snack for people who want to lose weight. Extra nutritious and with lots of crunch, baby carrots fill your stomach for long and give you a good night sleep. The best thing is that with every serving, you get only four fat-free calories.
– Bananas are also good bedtime snacks if you are keen to lose weight. Packed with relaxing tryptophan and satiating fiber, they are the perfect late night snacks you can enjoy before retiring to bed. Bananas won’t leave your kitchen with smelly dishes to clean up after enjoying your snack.
Remember that late night eating leads to stress-eating, which subsequently leads to overindulging in high-fat calories. Eating while you have rumbling stomach is also not a good idea because you just want to grab the first thing that’s within arms reach.
Eating healthy and at the right time can help you lose those last 5 pounds you’ve been struggling with.