The fight for a wall along the US-Mexico border continues, and both sides are ramping up efforts to stand by their beliefs. The right sensibly wants to tighten up border control and believes a wall will help to get the job done. As for the Left? They’re too busy making up assumed sob stories and trying to pull at people’s heartstrings to really stand by anything other than “no.” Here’s an update to clarify everything going on right now.
- The border wall issue has now officially created the longest government shutdown in history. Unlike past presidents, Trump is sticking to his guns and pushing for approval – and he’s willing to do whatever it takes.
- First, why a wall, anyway? Trump’s desire to erect a border wall is born of a deep understanding of the risks associated with poorly controlled borders. We know for a fact that drugs, violent criminals and MS-13 members enter the U.S. at lax areas in the border even now.
- But that’s really just one side of things. Even allowing open immigration and low-security asylum options is risky. It takes just one admission of someone who belongs to a terrorist group or drug gang to cause significant harm on U.S. soil.
- Think about this for a second: in 2018 alone, over 500,000 “asylum-seekers” or illegal aliens approached (or even tried to cross) the border. Some were also apprehended after they had managed to enter the country under cloak and dagger. Nearly 125.000 of those people turned out to be inadmissible.
- The Left, on the other hand, has been focusing on the creation of a top-tier slander campaign. Plainly put: they don’t hate the wall, they hate Trump. The wall just happens to give them a convenient excuse to create fake news and insult him.
- First, the Left tried to say they had concerns about the total cost. Okay, fine, that’s reasonable – but then they refused to compromise. They’ve also claimed the GOP is xenophobic and that the Trump administration hates immigration and/or Mexican people.
- As the time frame for the shutdown grows longer and longer, the Left slowly steps up their game. What started as an alleged concern about the cost of the wall has devolved into claiming that Trump’s refusal to back down makes him childish. They say the shutdown is a temper tantrum because he can’t get his own way. This is faulty logic; how does a wall benefit Trump in any way? No one ever said the Left made sense…
- Up until recently, Democrats and the GOP had been in talks to try to reach a compromise. Those talks broke down in the third week of January; Trump stormed out of the building and refused to listen to the Left’s drivel. Can you really blame him?
- But here’s the thing: this isn’t the first time for a president to float the idea of a border wall. In fact, just a couple of years ago the Democrats were proposing building a wall and tightening up the borders. Obama. Hilary. Schumer. Many, many other people on the Left and the Right wanted a wall – so what’s changed?
- The only common denominator is the President himself. And sadly, the Left would rather demonize Trump than find any actual solutions. But you need not worry the President will back down; he’s in it for the long haul, Democrats be damned.