According to Fox News, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reported that a Michigan man contracted Tuberculosis (TB) after being exposed to Mycobacterium bovis (M. bovis) a mycobacterium found in several animals, including deer. This organism can be found in the digestive tracts of many animals used for meat, as this 77-year old man, an avid hunter for decades, found out.
Doctors believe he contracted TB after being exposed to it while field dressing a deer. The process of animal-to-human infection is known as zoonotic TB to scientists. While the process is rare, it is not unknown to medical science. Particularly with free-range animals.
According to the CDC, the illness comes in two stages. Latent TB can reside in the human body without the host displaying any symptoms. It’s when it transforms into TB-disease, however, that issues like the well-known cough develop. Fortunately, healthcare professionals can detect both types and administer long-proven treatments.
Copyright 2019, UnitedVoice.com