(UnitedVoice.com) – Just before the 2016 election, then-President Barack Obama insinuated that the US election system was among the most secure in the world. The reason: It’s not centralized or run by the federal government. There’s a good reason for that. However, Democrats in 2021 don’t seem to care.
Just a few years ago, House Democrats praised the decentralized election system as a safety net against election hacking by foreign governments. However, they are now proposing a federal takeover of the US election system that would compromise elections moving forward and make it difficult for Republicans to win the White House and virtually any other elected office. The bill is unquestionably unconstitutional, as explained below.
“For the People Act” Is Really “For the Democrats Act”
House Resolution 1, also known as the “For the People Act,” attempts to override Republican state legislatures that are moving to change COVID-19 election rules. In Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, and Pennsylvania, GOP-dominated legislatures are preparing to debate legislation that would:
- Define more tightly who can vote by mail
- Make it more difficult to acquire mail-in ballots
- Describe a detailed process to ensure mail-in ballot integrity
Democrats have designed HR 1 to be a federal takeover of elections that would strip the states of their ability to conduct elections. It would impose unconstitutional mandates on the states and end the decentralization of the election process. The bill would force states to implement early voting, automatic voter registration, online voter registration, same-day voting registration, and no-fault/no-excuse absentee balloting.
So, what’s in HR 1?
Here’s just a small sample:
- Election officials would have zero time to verify the accuracy of new voter registrations.
- It would be nearly impossible to determine a new voter’s eligibility and purge ineligible voters from voter rolls.
- It would ban state ID voter laws, allowing anyone to vote without verification or proof of identity.
- It expands government censorship of campaigns and political speech in violation of the First Amendment.
- It prohibits state election officials from participating in federal elections – creating a dual, competing election system for voters.
- It weaponizes the IRS to engage in partisan activities by permitting the tax agency to investigate and consider political and policy job positions in non-profit think tanks and organizations.
- If passed, it will strip states of redistricting powers and turn the process over to a federal commission.
- It would make Washington, DC, a state that would, in all probability, add two more Democratic Senators.
- It would prohibit lawsuits questioning the constitutionality of HR 1 in any other courts than the District Court for the District of Columbia.
Is the Legislation Constitutional?
Aside from free-speech questions in political activities, the bill may severely violate the 10th Amendment of the US Constitution. The 10th Amendment states:
“The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”
The Constitution does not spell out or grant a specific role for the federal government with regard to conducting elections. The founding fathers designed the Constitution with a myriad of checks and balances to ensure liberty persists because the people are always protected from government abuses.
It’s hard to see how this bill won’t abuse the voter process and ensure that the Democratic Party is the winner of elections indefinitely. It will create massive opportunities for voter fraud and open the doors to long and messy legal challenges that will require the US Supreme Court to settle the debate once and for all.
What the bill really demonstrates is the lengths Democrats will go to acquire more power. With more power comes more possibilities to enact far-Left legislation that will forever change America.
Don Purdum, Independent Political Analyst
Copyright 2021, UnitedVoice.com