Picture this: an illegal alien manages to enter the country, set up residence, start a business, and support that business by exploiting vulnerable workers. To help control the people he’s exploiting, many of whom are illegal aliens themselves, he purchases a significant collection of black market firearms.
This story sounds absurd, right? Well, unfortunately, it’s the same story playing out every single day all across America. The case we’re about to share with you just happens to be the most recent incident.
- Juan Antonio Perez, an illegal alien and the owner of Aztec Construction, was officially arrested in Northern Georgia on May 7th. He has been indicted for making an “unlawful profit by employing illegal aliens and paying them below-market wages.”
- Investigators also charged Perez with owning a total of 14 different firearms. While gun ownership isn’t normally illegal in the state, the man’s illegal alien status does make it criminal for him to own or use firearms on US soil.
- U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) department spent years watching Perez and gathering evidence. The information found allowed them to execute a total of six federal search warrants across two states.
- According to ICE, the man’s criminal enterprise was extensive. “Perez allegedly used the proceeds of his illegal activity to build a 7,500 square foot house, bought other houses where he allowed some of his employees to live, and purchased more than 50 sports cars and heavily customized trucks.”
- “Individuals, like Mr. Perez, who flagrantly violate federal law to give themselves an unfair business advantage are cheating both law-abiding employers and employees exploited by these unfair and illegal labor practices,” they said. “This case is an illustration of serious threats to public safety on numerous levels.”
- But exploitation isn’t the only concern. US attorney Byung J. BJay Pak was quick to dial in on the much bigger risk present in this case. “Perez not only broke the law by allegedly hiring illegal aliens at below-market wages and paying no taxes, he had a large assortment of weapons including shotguns and pistols that he had acquired through various means other than buying them himself,” he said.
The fact that an illegal immigrant can come into our country, set up shop, and literally flourish should be highly concerning. Not only does it steal work from Americans, but it also puts everyday citizens at risk. No one needs an illegal immigrant running around armed to the teeth just to protect his ill-gotten gains. Who’s to say what other criminal acts he’s responsible for?
What do you think should happen to Mr. Perez? Let us know in the comments.