We have a new blood pressure medication recall to tell you about today – and it’s from one of the same companies who announced a recall late last year. Isn’t it time these companies start being more responsible with your health?
- Torrent Pharmaceuticals Limited released a statement this week indicating that they were forced to expand the pre-existing recall to include the brand’s Losartan potassium and Losartan potassium/ hydrochlorothiazide tablets.
- Losartan and losartan combination tablets are most often used to treat high blood pressure and other cardiac conditions. A variety of brands produce and sell the drug on the commercial market.
- Both of the lots indicated for addition contain significant amounts of N-Methyl-Nitroso-Butyric acid (NMBA), a carcinogenic chemical created during the manufacturing process.
- The FDA reports that the presence of trace NMBA is expected. However, the levels identified in Torrent’s tablets greatly exceed acceptable daily intake levels, putting patients at risk.
- The newly discovered batches include 36 lots of Losartan potassium and 68 lots of Losartan potassium with hydrochlorothiazide. Torrent’s official recall list, found here, now contains just over 230 affected lot numbers.
- To figure out whether your prescription is affected, check the lot number on the bottle against the list provided at the link above. If you still aren’t sure, contact your pharmacist.
- Torrent Pharmaceuticals also has an active recall line where you can report adverse events or get information on the recall. Just dial 1-800-912-9561 during regular business hours (EST).
- Please note that even if you discover your medication has been affected, the FDA is recommending patients continue to take the drug until they can see a physician. Stopping antihypertensives cold turkey can, in some cases, lead to a severe return of symptoms, heart attack, stroke, or even death.
There are options available for changing your medication if you feel uncomfortable taking Losartan. But is that really enough? We think these companies should not be allowed to put people in this situation in the first place.
Tell us how YOU feel in the comments.