Roe v. Wade: one of the most contentious and questionable cases in the history of America, at least surrounding women’s rights. Depending on where you stand, you may either feel like the decision was wise or the first step into a horrifying new reality where women have the ability to murder their babies with zero consequences.
No matter where you stand, you surely believe that the topic is very serious and very grave. A loss of life, vulnerable single mothers grieving, desperate women seeking solutions because they aren’t supported by their families… the idea of making a running joke out of it makes most of us appalled and disgusted.
Most of us except for NARAL Pro-Choice Oregon, that is. They’ve turned the seriousness and tragedy into a gong show by creating a new abortion flavor: “Rocky Roe v. Wade.”
• Dubbed the “abortion flavor” by some, this new flavor features an undisclosed custom mixture – perhaps chocolate and vanilla – nestled into a waffle cone. If it wasn’t for the name, it would be a lovely flavor, but the namesake makes it completely unappetizing. It feels like the joke of an Internet troll.
• We’re thanking our higher power that they didn’t go any further with the joke and make it appear like it’s namesake, but the reason they chose the name they did is just as bad.
• NARAL claims the ice cream is their attempt to put pressure on the public to fight against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh. Kavanaugh has a long-standing history of disagreeing with Roe V. Wade; many believe he will upturn it if allowed into the position without restrictions.
• Not impressed by the idea of abortion-flavored ice cream? Well, here’s some more news: you can drop by What’s the Scoop in Portland and have it served up to you by NARAL Pro-Choice Oregon staff. Get in on the taste test and enjoy your abortion-flavored treat straight from the hands of those who provide these procedures every single day!
(Excuse our sarcasm and lack of delight.)
• Multiple people have accused the shop, and NARAL, of trivializing the very serious and complicated issue. At least one went as far as to accuse such complainants of “bullying small business.”
• Local political consultant, Jonathan Lockwood, spoke out about the issue on his blog. “Oregon is the abortion Mecca of the United States,” he said, claiming that people needed to “step up and shut down these disgusting abortion ice cream parties.” He also accused abortion clinics of forcing Oregonians to fund other people’s late-term abortions, saying it “needs to end.”