The Escambia County Sheriff’s office in Florida announced last Friday morning that they had an active shooter at a local Navy base. A few minutes later, they reported that the shooter was dead.
Naval Aviation Schools Command
Three people were killed during the shooting, which happened at the Naval Air Station Pensacola, a training site for the Blue Angels. It employs more than 7,400 civilian personnel and 16,000 military members. The shooting took place at the Naval Aviation Schools Command, in building 633, where all Navy personnel first report when starting flight training.
During a news conference, Sheriff David Morgan said:
“Walking through the crime scene was like being on the set of a movie.”
Besides the three people who lost their lives, eight others are being treated for injuries at Baptist Hospital, two of whom are sheriff’s deputies. One of them was shot in the knee and the other was shot in the arm. Their injuries are considered non-life threatening.
The shooter has since been identified as Mohammed Alshamrani, an aviation student and 2nd LT in the Royal Saudi Air Force. According to news outlets, a manifesto was found online where Alshamrani expressed hatred for the United States. The FBI has not confirmed whether this is true or not.
One US official, who has not been named, says that Alshamrani had a dinner party earlier this week where he and his guests watched videos of mass shootings. This same official claims that 10 students from Saudia Arabia are currently being held at the base where the shooting happened.
Representative Matt Gaetz, who represents Pensacola, believes that the shooting is definitely related to terrorism. He told a local news station that, “We can safely call this an act of terrorism, not an act of workplace violence.”
Part of the base where the shooting takes place is used for educating more than 60,000 members of the Marines, Navy, Coast Guard and Air Force each year in various areas of aviation.
Just received a full briefing on the tragic shooting at NAS Pensacola in Florida, and spoke to @GovRonDeSantis. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families during this difficult time. We are continuing to monitor the situation as the investigation is ongoing.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 6, 2019
President Trump has been briefed on the situation.
Twice in One Week
This shooting comes only two days after Gabriel Romero shot and killed two civilian workers at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam in Hawaii. He also injured a third person who is expected to survive. Romero, a sailor from the USS Columbia, used his M4 service rifle to shoot the workers and then used his M9 to take his own life.
The commander of the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard, Capt. Greg Burton, said:
“Looking ahead, we will honor the life and legacy of those lost. Even now, as we mourn the loss of members of our ‘Ohana, please take the opportunity to reconnect with each other and to reinforce and strengthen the bonds with each other. We value each one of you deeply and we are here for you.”
New information continues to come out about both of these situations, and as always, we will keep you updated.
Copyright 2019, UnitedVoice.com