(UnitedVoice.com) – Democrats never let a good crisis go to waste. This week, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) significantly overreached with her authority and tried to force her agenda onto the Senate. Social justice, climate change, and a whole host of other liberal special interests were trying to make their way into the historic economic stimulus package drafted by the Senate. It was as if liberal Christmas were in full season and liberals sat on Santa’s lap demanding their wish list be met, or else.
Whenever there’s a crisis of some kind, Congress passes massive bills that go beyond the details of the situation at hand. Bills are stuffed with giveaways to special interests, gimmicks, and sweetheart deals. It’s cronyism at its best.
This case is beyond cronyism. Liberals tried to exploit a real crisis instead of focusing on helping workers, businesses, and the health care system.
What Pelosi did was beyond measure. It was so egregious that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) angrily said that Pelosi is the Speaker of the House, “not the speaker of the Senate.” He essentially told her to butt out and stay in her lane.
What Was in the Liberal Wish List?
If it related to social justice, climate change, and policies Democrats couldn’t pass in legislation for the last 10 years, it was on Pelosi’s list. These special interests included the following liberal laundry list that had absolutely nothing to do with a bipartisan bill to aid Americans in need due to the COVID-19 outbreak:
- Impose equity pay provisions for racial and gender pay, forced diversity on corporate boards, increased use of minority-owned banks by federal agencies, and a ton of other diversity-themed requirements.
- If you’re a union member, collective bargaining power would have been increased and “Right to Work” laws would have been diminished.
- All US Postal Service debt owed to the Treasury Department would have been canceled.
- They tried to slip in an increased fuel efficiency standard for the airline companies. However, they didn’t bother to target the manufacturers of the aircraft who engineer the planes. They also wanted tax credits for alternative energy programs.
- For those with student debt, they suggested a deferred payment plan. For those who love to soak the kids at colleges and universities, Democrats wanted to offer a $9.5 billion giveaway.
- For criminal justice reform, they recommend $100 million to juvenile programs.
- If immigration issues are important to you, they proposed suspending the enforcement of several immigration laws.
- Do you think you don’t have enough access to vote – there’s something for you as well. Democrats would force states to enact early voting by federal law and allow for voting by mail. They would also allow ballot harvesting where third parties could deliver ballots to election authorities, online voter registration, and same-day voter registration.
- If you don’t think low-wage workers make enough money, they also wanted a $15-an-hour minimum wage.
What Were They Thinking?
When asked during a CNN interview about the “wish list,” Pelosi doubled down on her fantasy and said that all the suggestions were related to COVID-19. Last week, House Majority Leader James Clyburn (D-SC) said the pandemic represented “a tremendous opportunity to restructure things to fit our vision.”
It appears that Democrats are thinking more about their agenda than they are of those in the country who need real help right now. It’s wrong to play politics with a crisis of this magnitude and Democrats were foolish to exploit the situation. They had to know this would come out, right?
Apparently, Democrats think their brand of “social justice” is more important than jobs or lives.
By Don Purdum, Freelance Contributor
The above opinions are solely those of the author and may or may not reflect those of the publisher.
Copyright 2020, UnitedVoice.com