This week, another school shooting ended at least 17 lives. We mourn the lives lost, and agree there has to be some kind of change, but it may not have anything to do with gun policy. There were in fact, plenty of warnings that this shooter had plans, but those warnings were ignored.
• The shooter was a former student of the school, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, where the shooting took place.
• 19 year old shooter, Nikolas Cruz had previously been reported to have made threats to conduct a school shooting.
• Cruz was by all accounts, a loner who had demonstrated disciplinary problems throughout his time as a student.
• Cruz’s Instagram and Facebook accounts contain multiple images of him with guns or guns by themselves.
• More disturbing than the gun images is the statements Cruz made on his social media accounts. “I am going to kill law enforcement one day they go after the good people.” “I whana shoot people with my AR-15.”
• Cruz had been staying with a family friend since the death of his adoptive mother, just months ago. Cruz’s adoptive father died over a decade ago.
• One speaker reported that Cruz once bragged about being kicked out of previous schools.