Jeff Flake, Senate Republican for Arizona, announced his intentions not to run for re-election in a scathing speech aimed at President Trump. The Senate member called Trump’s behavior “dangerous to a democracy” calling his criticisms obligations “as a matter of duty and conscience.” Flake also claimed that many more Senate members would be speaking out. He cites some of the behaviors below as his reasoning.
Key Points Referenced by Flake
- “None of these appalling features of our current politics should ever be regarded as normal.”
- “Reckless, outrageous, and undignified behavior has become excused and countenanced as “telling it like it is,” when it is actually just reckless, outrageous, and undignified.”
- “The notion that one should stay silent as the norms and values that keep America strong are undermined and as the alliances and agreements that ensure the stability of the entire world are routinely threatened by the level of thought that goes into 140 characters – the notion that one should say and do nothing in the face of such mercurial behavior is ahistoric and, I believe, profoundly misguided.”
- “…our allies are now looking elsewhere for leadership.”
- “We were not made great as a country by indulging or even exalting our worst impulses, turning against ourselves, glorying in the things which divide us, and calling fake things true and true things fake. And we did not become the beacon of freedom in the darkest corners of the world by flouting our institutions and failing to understand just how hard-won and vulnerable they are.”
How do you feel about Flake’s statements?