Managed to forget Mother’s Day? We won’t shame you. Even the best people forget important dates once in a while. Of course, our forgiveness doesn’t really fix the problem; it’s a few days away from Mother’s Day and you still need a gift. Here’s a few easy-to-access, last-minute Mother’s Day gifts to help you save the day.
• Temperature-controlled mug: Nothing says matron like a long conversation over a cup of tea or coffee. If your mother loves a hot cuppa, you can make her experience better with a temperature-controlled mug. These rechargeable devices look just like a regular mug, but keep beverages at a consistent temperature – even if it takes two hours to drink, sip by sip. Order from Amazon with Prime shipping for overnight delivery!
• Flowers: Okay, it’s a little typical, sure. But flowers are still one of the best quick gifts to grab on the way home, especially if you don’t have time to travel or order online. Mix it up by stopping by the florist and having them create a bouquet that matches your mother’s favorite colors or theme. Or, try a potted plant or basket instead.
• Maid service: Mothers spend plenty of time puttering around the house, handling the washing and cleaning. Give her a break by gifting her a certificate to a local maid service. Whether it’s for a number of sessions or just a single visit, it’ll give her time to put her feet up and make her feel cared for.
• Food Delivery Subscriptions: Services like Blue Apron and Murray’s Cheese of the Month Club make a wonderful gift for busy mothers. Blue Apron delivers all-ingredient meal packs right to her door every week, while Murray’s Cheese sends out a big box full of artisanal cheese. Other boxes, like Try the World’s foreign imports box or Carnivore Club’s charcuterie box, specialize in specific types of food instead. Pick something she’ll love, set it, and forget it.
• Stationery Set: Older moms often still write back and forth with dear friends far away. It may seem strange to the younger set, but emailing just doesn’t carry the same appeal. You can cater to this love of writing by gifting her a stationery set, complete with paper, fancy pens, and envelopes. Tuck a pack of stamps in and a collection of holiday cards for a fun touch (and maybe your own handwritten thank you letter, too).
• New Dishes: Most of our mothers are old enough to have lived in a period when women still had hope chests and collected household goods before they married. Many mothers received their first set of fine china in similar circumstances – china that may be slowly wearing down by now as pieces are accidentally broken or go missing in moves. A new set of fine china or dishes in her favorite style is a fantastic way to show her you love her. Give yourself bonus points if you cook her a meal on it at the same time.
• Time: Having a rough year? Can’t afford to spend money? The good news is the best gift of all costs absolutely nothing, just your time. Spend time with your mother doing the things she loves to do. Whether it’s taking a walk down a long country road or just sitting and watching her favorite shows, your time and effort is the best way to show her you love her.