President Trump stood before the NRA last week, praising them for their efforts to support the Second Amendment and vowing to aid the organization in its fight. Despite increased gun violence across the country, Trump (and many others) still believes that restricting gun access doesn’t solve the problem; instead, the answer lies in allowing people to arm and protect themselves against the coming surge of attacks. “We will never give up our freedom,” he asserted. “We will live free and we will die free.”
• Trump also implored NRA members to support Republicans and actively work to block Democrats from office through votes. The POTUS believes a vote for Democrats is a vote for gun control, something well supported by experience and evidence. “We’ve got to do great in ’18.”
• The NRA has a long history of backing Trump, supporting him financially even before his campaign. Altogether, the organization donated approximately $30 million to his campaign efforts, mostly because he was a safe choice for gun rights.
• Trump’s opinions on gun control have waxed and waned over recent weeks and months. However, recent statements have made it clear that Trump stands behind this organization whose mission is it to protect the Second Amendment.
• The POTUS explains away his change of mindsets in a way that makes sense, at least to most of us. Speaking of the AR 15 at a rally, he reminded people that his support “…doesn’t mean we have to agree on everything.”
• Trump also pointed out the dichotomy in current legislation as over-polarizing Americans. “It doesn’t make sense that I have to wait until I’m 21 to get a handgun, but I can get this weapon at 18.” The President did previously advocate for restrictions on guns to age 21, but later stated there wasn’t enough support for such a change.