President Trump has lashed out against the oncoming onslaught of migrants in a multi-thousand person caravan approaching the border via Mexico. The group of nearly 10,000 individuals has grown in recent months, swelling from just 7,200 in October. Many have traveled all the way from Guatemala and beyond; all are slowly trickling into Tijuana, and most have come to apply for asylum and be granted entry into the United States.
But Trump? He just isn’t having it.
• In his first Twitter post about the migrant caravan in recent days, Trump called it, “a big CON.”
• “Isn’t it ironic that large Caravans of people are marching to our border wanting U.S.A. asylum because they are fearful of being in their country,” he said. “…yet they are proudly waving ….their country’s flag.”
• Trump points out what many of us find obvious: if you want to belong to the United States so badly, why not show up with an American flag? This one tiny thing would at least show effort to be patriotic to the country you so badly want to join.
SPECIAL: BREAKING: It’s a Blood Sugar Miracle
•The President also accused the migrant caravan of costing everyday citizens money, suggesting that, “…the American taxpayer is paying for it.” The “it” he is referring to, here, is of course the mixture of military and law enforcement support at the border and benefits for accepted asylum seekers.
• The response to the oncoming caravan(s) has been swift and fierce. The Trump administration deployed a total of 5,200 troops to the border to firm up security and prevent issues, like illegal entry and violence. Migrants are expected to clash with troops often in the coming weeks.
• As for whether there is something to worry about, look right to the horse’s mouth for evidence. At least one young man in the caravan, a migrant from Honduras, told reporters that he intends to storm the border. “We are ready to die; whatever is required. When you live in poverty and violence, it’s better to die than to live,” he explained.