President Donald Trump put his foot down, taking a firm stand against the “many criminals” flowing through the southern border, via Twitter on October 17. In a three-tweet series, he pointed out the absurdity of the assumption that the U.S. will harbor anyone who shows up at the border and also delivered a firm ultimatum to Central American leaders.
• “I am watching the Democrat Party led[sic] (because they want Open Borders and existing weak laws) assault on our country by Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador,” he explained, “whose leaders are doing little to stop this large flow of people.”
• President Trump was also quick to point out that the real problem is the “many criminals” and high volume of “drugs” entering the country via Mexico.
• “I must, in the strongest of terms, ask Mexico to stop this onslaught,” he insisted. “…and if unable to do so I will call up the U.S. Military and CLOSE OUR SOUTHERN BORDER!”
• The President also indicated that he would halt payments flowing into poorer countries struggling with the mass exodus, saying that they “seem to have almost no control over their population.” This includes Guatemala, El Salvador, Mexico, and Honduras.
• If Trump is concerned about the potential consequences to trade with Central America, he certainly didn’t show it. In fact, he laid it all on the line and identified exactly how he feels. “The assault on our country at our Southern Border, including the Criminal elements and DRUGS pouring in, is far more important to me, as President, than Trade or the USMCA.”
• Trump closed his series of messages with a targeted barb identifying who he believes is most at fault: Democrats. “All Democrats fault for weak laws!”