As the crisis at the southern border continues, our president is standing up for the rights of citizens first. President Trump ordered a complete overhaul to the asylum system on Monday, April 29. This time, he’s standing firm on protecting American citizens without punishing people who really need help.
Here’s what you need to know.
- Startling numbers released by the White House in recent months detail just how severe the crisis really is. One document reports statistics for “aliens who do not show up to court and are ordered removed in absentia [have] soared, with 17,200 removal orders issued in absentia in the first quarter of fiscal year (FY) 2019.”
- It also warns of the potential for a much bigger problem if the influx isn’t addressed, stating that, “in absentia removal orders would more than triple the 2013 total.”
- But Trump seeks to make changes to the system in an effort to stem the tide of both legal and illegal applicants. His goal is to protect a vulnerable system from false claims while ensuring more rapid, reliable acceptance for true refugees.
- New fees for applicants and a renewed focus on speeding up approval for the people who truly deserve it show compassion. Yet, this simple change also avoids overextending American resources or putting our country at risk.
- Trump’s order also grants the government the ability to bar asylum seekers from working until they are officially accepted. This change aims to prevent people from seeking asylum on false grounds just to get into the country and take jobs.
- The President’s memo details his concern about the growing border crisis. “That emergency continues to grow increasingly severe,” it reads. “The extensive resources required to process and care for these individuals pulls U.S. Customs and Border Protection personnel away from securing our Nation’s borders.”
- Trump also called on the DHS to redistribute Border Control and ICE agents where they are needed most. He believes doing so is essential “to improve the integrity of adjudications of credible and reasonable fear claims, to strengthen the enforcement of the immigration laws, and to ensure compliance with the law by those aliens who have final orders of removal.”
So much for the President not having any compassion, as the Left would have you believe. This plan was created from the ground up with real asylum seekers and US citizens in mind. Let’s help the real victims — not the con artists who play pretend.