Clashes at the Mexico border have unfolded in recent days as a massive migrant caravan continues to approach despite continuous warnings. In at least one case, a group of around 100 travelers stormed the border, leaving riot police to physically hold them back. US authorities and Mexican police were forced to fire tear gas into the crowd to prevent them from overtaking authorities.
President Trump has decided he’s had enough. After countless months of supporting both asylum seekers and their children, they continue to attempt to cross into the U.S. even after being told, “no.” Trump is so serious, he’s even threatening to close the border permanently.
• In an early-morning tweet on November 26, the President wrote, “Mexico should move the flag waving Migrants, many of whom are stone cold criminals, back to their countries. Do it by plane, do it by bus, do it anyway you want, but they are NOT coming into the U.S.A. We will close the Border permanently if need be. Congress, fund the WALL!”
• But not everyone agrees with the President. There is bipartisan criticism of the recent efforts to stop the migrant onslaught – especially the use of tear gas. It seems in at least one case, tear gas canisters landed near toddlers who were with parents attempting to storm the border.
BREAKING: Special: Trump’s Lining Pockets. Why Not Fill Yours?
• As of Sunday, November 25, Mexico had promised to increase military protection around the border. They had also promised to deport any migrant caught using violence in an attempt to access the U.S.A., but Trump’s tweet just one day later suggests these promises have yet to be met.
• If the U.S.-Mexican border were to close, it would effectively prevent migrants from applying for asylum at all. It could also hamper trade between the two countries, if the government agrees to apply the closure to businesses and citizens alike.
• Nearly 5,000 migrants continue to camp along the border, a situation the Department of Homeland Security has called inherently dangerous. “DHS will not tolerate this type of lawlessness and will not hesitate to shut down ports of entry for security and public safety reasons,” a representative explained.