President Donald Trump believes defense is the key to a safe and comfortable country. Whether it’s our borders or international relations, he’s often the first to step up to the plate and make the hard decisions others refuse to make to keep us safe. In a new measure to provide the United States with absolute security, he has announced a plan to create a new branch of the military: a Space Defense Force. Details are scant as of right now, but here’s what we know so far.
• While the official decision to roll out a space force program occurred this week, Trump actually floated the idea back in March. He believes a Space Defense Force should be a part of a robust national security plan, especially in a world with the threat of nuclear attack.
• The term “space force” sounds like something out of a movie – ostentatious and a little bit fluffy. But a US Space Defense Force wouldn’t be about flying spaceships or fighting aliens; instead, it would protect us from attacks from other countries, including nuclear missiles.
• Last March, Trump stated that “space is a warfighting domain, just like the land, air, and sea.” He’s right. In fact, Ronald Reagan saw the potential for our enemies to attack us via orbit with missiles as far back as during the cold war. He proposed a similar change, the Strategic Defense Initiative, at that time.
• The Space Defense Force would also bring the US up to speed on the international front, increasing funding for NASA and the National Space Council. This could potentially mean investments into advanced technology and a focus on exploring space – the space directly in Earth’s vicinity, at least.
• When asked about why he believes the sixth branch is a wise idea, Trump was only too happy to explain. “…We are spending a lot and we have a lot of private money coming in,” he said. “From the very beginning, many of our astronauts have been soldiers and airmen, coast guard men and marines. And our service members will be vital to ensuring America continues to lead the way into the stars.”
• The new military branch, if successfully cultivated, would position the United States as a leader in the space race. Both the US and what used to be the U.S.S.R. have been embroiled in a competition to be the first to succeed in this area since the first trip to the moon.
• The Space Race and new Space Defense Force isn’t just about exploring or claiming new zones in space and defending America from missiles. It’s also about technological prowess, and showing other countries that we are strong and able to defend ourselves, too. Think of it as both a show of force and dedication to the next evolution of the human race.