[Edited for Update 10-26-18 11:05 A.M. CST]: A report by CBS news reveals that a Florida suspect has been taken into custody. Cesar Altieri Sayoc, 56, was apprehended after forensic evidence in the form of DNA was taken from the packages and connected to the suspect. Sayoc had previously been convicted of grand theft, misdemeanor theft, and pled guilty to discharge of a destructive device. He also faced several other theft charges and one possession charge involving steroids. His former lawyer describes his behavior as “often bizarre,” citing one incident in which Sayoc changed his birthdate on his driver’s license because he “wanted to look younger.”
When bad things happen to Republicans, the Left often gloats about it and subtly points it out in a way that almost seems to cheer it on. In traditional hypocritical fashion, they don’t seem to feel nearly the same when the tables are turned and they’re the target.
We’re going to take a totally fresh and new perspective for today’s topic. We’re just as disturbed as they likely are by the recent news that several Democratic leaders and supporters received packages containing explosives.
• Former President Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, CNN, George Soros, and Robert DeNiro all received the packages over recent days. No matter how much we may dislike them, we’re glad they weren’t injured. But someone is trying to injure or even kill political leaders, and that’s both disturbing and terrifying.
• It started with the discovery of a pipe bomb sent to billionaire George Soros’s home in New York City, on Monday, October 22nd. Intelligence agents may have originally believed the package was an isolated incident, but by the next day, it was clear this wasn’t true.
• By the next morning (Tuesday, 9:45 a.m.), investigating officials had officially confirmed the package was an explosive and had the ability to cause great harm. Fortunately, the package did not ignite; it was safely deconstructed by bomb specialists.
• Only one day later (Wednesday, 9:28 a.m), a second package failed screening before reaching the home of Bill and Hillary Clinton. It, too, had the same explosive power and makeup as the bomb found in Soros’ home.
• Within only 20 minutes on the same morning, the United States Secret Service announced it had intercepted a third bomb addressed to former President Barack Obama. Neither of the second and third packages ever made it to their intended victims.
• An hour later, the White House released its first statement and held a brief press conference. “These terrorizing acts are despicable,” it read, “and anyone responsible will be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law.”
• Like dominoes falling, the morning continued to bring bad news. By 10:40 a.m., CNN’s name had been added to the list of potential victims. A press release revealed that they, too, had intercepted a package at their headquarters in the Time Warner center in New York.
• Flash forward just another hour; local police in Florida add yet another name to the list: Rep. Deborah Wasserman Schultz. Her package was also safely intercepted before reaching her home.
• At 12:05 p.m., President Donald Trump took to the microphone and gave his thoughts on the deliveries, as did Mike Pence. Both parties condemned the attacks, calling them “despicable” and stating that they had no place in American politics.
• Another hour later at 1:05 p.m., officials reveal that the package sent to CNN was not intended for CNN at all. Instead, it was addressed to CIA director John Brennan, a well-known Trump detractor.
• Then, yet another package was identified – this time, addressed to Rep. Maxine Waters. As of 1:33 p.m., officials had confirmed a total of seven explosive packages – some containing an unknown white powder.
• Things seemed to slow down after this, with the afternoon and evening mostly comprised of statements and news media releases. But the next morning (Thursday, 5 a.m.), local police intercepted another package in New York. This time, the target wasn’t a politician at all; it was actor Robert DeNiro.
• In Delaware, officials were dealing with their own mess. By 8 a.m. the same morning, they, too, had identified another two packages addressed to former U.S. vice-president Joe Biden.
• Friday morning, in New Jersey, another suspicious package was addressed to Sen. Cory Booker, while New York’s authorities dealt with a package sent to James Clapper at CNN, formerly the Director of National Intelligence for the Obama Administration.
• So far, no other devices have been identified, but that doesn’t mean the situation is over. What we know at this point is that all of the bombs had the same interior: shards of glass interspersed with a strange white powder. A small battery, PVC piping, and black tape affixed the parts together.
• President Trump denounced the incidents. “This egregious conduct is abhorrent to everything we hold dear and sacred as Americans,” he said at the White House press conference. “We’re extremely angry and upset and unhappy about what we witnessed this morning, and we will get to the bottom of it.”