This is America, isn’t it? Sometimes, it feels like our country is barely recognizable anymore. It used to be that your political beliefs were your political beliefs; if someone disagreed with you, you simply didn’t discuss it or you debated it like adults. That doesn’t seem to be the case anymore in West Hollywood, where Democrats and lefties recently banded together to have Trump’s Hollywood star forcibly removed.
• Trump’s star, which sits on the Walk of Fame close to 6859 Hollywood Blvd, has been in place for well over a decade. It sat largely untouched, albeit admired, until the first few months of his election campaign.
• Since then, repeated attacks and acts of vandalism have all but destroyed it. At least one incident included a woman throwing a menstrual cup full of blood onto the star, while the most recent saw a man use a device to literally bust up the surface almost entirely.
• These individuals claim to be engaging in “civil disobedience” and legal protest measures. They disagree with the President’s beliefs and methods for running the country. It’s difficult to see how throwing menstrual blood on a Walk of Fame star achieves anything but making people think you’re a child experiencing a massive temper tantrum.
• West Hollywood, however, is a heavily left community in general; many residents (including a few celebrities) have spoke out against Trump. A few even campaigned for Clinton and Sanders before he was elected.
• Last week, the community petitioned the local courts to have the star removed “…Due to [Trump’s] disturbing treatment of women and other actions.” The Chamber of Commerce unanimously approved the request even though they don’t technically have the ability to force the removal.
• When pressed for an explanation, it became extremely clear that a significant amount of bias influenced their decision. “The West Hollywood City Council did not pass the resolution because Donald Trump is a conservative or a Republican,” Mayor John D’Amico explained. “When one belittles and attacks minorities, immigrants, people with disabilities or women — the honor no longer exists.”
• Last we checked, the Walk of Fame was an indicator of celebrity status, not proof of someone’s political leanings. If we made the same argument against outspoken leftist celebrities who have stars nearby, we’d be laughed out of Hollywood. Yet, because it’s Trump, and because the left has made it fine to make Trump a target in order to discredit his ideals, this is okay.
• Having Trump’s star removed after multiple acts of vandalism is also one of the most hypocritical moves we can think of. Democrats are always talking about blaming the victim and supporting victims; Trump is the real victim, here. But instead of supporting him and protecting his star, they just sweep it under the rug – figuratively and literally.