(UnitedVoice.com) – Just a few years ago, no one in America would have predicted how fast the nation would change into something that few would recognize. The erosion of free speech, selective political enforcement of laws, and government and corporations joining together to blacklist citizens for their political views are shocking the nation.
Is this really happening? Many Americans may not notice what’s going on as they live their daily lives. Right now, most are unaffected as America undergoes a dangerous ideological change. Where checks and balances once existed, they are eroding.
However, it’s not too late.
What’s Happening in America?
America is known as the home of the free and land of the brave. However, in just a short time, America has been changing rapidly. Censorship and outright shaming over political discourse are new in America. However, are these just symptoms of something else at play, or is it part of a passing fad that will rectify over time?
In the 1960s and 1970s, America went through a similar pattern as the country fought a cold war against socialist communists intent on taking over the world. Conspiracies lined the halls of Congress that some were working for communists intent on taking down America. Trust was in short supply as Americans pitted themselves against one another. Somehow, the country moved on from the hysterical craze.
However, is what we’re experiencing today different?
Perhaps, it is different. At no other time have elected officials, corporations, academia, non-profits, think tanks, and the media been so aligned to enact mass change upon society. They may not all be working together intentionally, but it’s hard to deny the conspicuous alignment of their actions.
Consider the following, which are not conspiracies. They are actually things happening in America right now:
- Social media platforms are censoring Americans at alarming rates for their political views. It has the effect of forcing millions to self-censor or risk being removed and ridiculed for their politics.
- All of America’s ills are blamed on a white supremacy narrative, without ever defining its meaning.
- Leftists are pushing to leave Trump administration employees out of the job market as a form of punishment for serving their country.
- There are public calls to “deprogram” Conservatives who risk being labeled as extremists or even terrorists.
- Some states are slipping gun bans into pandemic legislation under the guise of “protecting” Americans despite the Second Amendment prohibitions on such actions.
- Churches were ordered closed despite the First Amendment freedom of religious clause in the US Constitution. Fortunately, the Supreme Court reversed several Democratic governors’ orders across America.
America must resist the temptation to go down this path any further. Asking questions is inherently American. Resistance to overreach is absolutely American. Calls and attempts to stifle either are as unAmerican as it gets.
Where Do Rights Come From?
The Declaration of Independence states that our rights come from God, not the government. Yet, more and more, the Left is trying to eradicate God and install government as the new religion. America was founded on the idea that the individual matters. Yet, today’s elites fool Americans into believing that a few should be sacrificed for the greater good of society.
It seems the blocks are being stacked against those who believe the United States is great not because it’s perfect, but because it’s inherently good. This can only happen when good people lose sight of history and don’t participate in government through voting, challenging elected officials peacefully and intellectually, and running for office themselves.
What happens to America is up to us.
Will we rise to the challenge?
Don Purdum, Independent Political Analyst
Copyright 2021, UnitedVoice.com