(UnitedVoice.com) – The holiday season is upon us and millions of Americans will donate millions of dollars to charitable organizations that are raising money for various causes. In 2020, the need for donations is even greater because of the pandemic. But while people are trying to figure out how to help, criminals are trying to figure out how to steal your money and identities.
Here are six ways everyone can protect themselves from charity scams:
- Do not give anyone your personal or financial information.
- If you want to donate to a charity, go directly to their website.
- Only enter your personal information into secured websites.
- Do not donate over the phone if someone has called you.
- Always research the charity you want to donate to.
- Be aware, thieves can spoof websites.
In 2019, the federal government offered some advice to protect yourself that’s still relevant today.
This holiday season, protect yourself from charity scams, #identitytheft and other types of scams. Our resources can help you prevent, spot, and report frauds and scams. https://t.co/tmxSTg2g3u pic.twitter.com/sFJUM6Zp0x
— consumerfinance.gov (@CFPB) December 26, 2019
Copyright 2020, UnitedVoice.com